HKEAA Licence Number: C-015801  
Tel: (852) 2869 5128
Contact Us         
Home  |   HK Real Estate Services   |   Hong Kong Info  |   HK Services  |   Residential Areas  |   Serviced Apartment  |   About Compass
Hong Kong Information > Essential Information


Voltage: 220 volts, 50 cycles
Plugs: square or round pin, 15 amp

Applying for Connection

Compass will do this for you. If, however, you would like to handle the process yourself, contact:  

  • Allow 2-3 working days for connection
  • Provide full address of the property
  • Name of the individual/company responsible for the account; if its an individual account, you will need to provide a passport or HK ID card number; if a company account, then the business registration number
  • A deposit of two months estimated usage is required, this will be billed to you in the first month
  • Cost will depend on whether you leave your air-conditioners running all day during the summer, and can range from HK$ 800 - HK$ 5000 (US$100-650) depending on the size of your premises.

Hong Kong Electric Company
Customer Centre:
9/F, Electric Centre
28 City Garden Road
North Point
Customer Account Enquiry: 2887 3411

Inspection and Technical Enquiry: 2887 3455
Emergency Service: 2555 4000
Service Area: Hong Kong Island, Ap Lei Chau and Lamma Island. 

CLP Power
Customer Centre:
G/F & M/F, 46-48 Granville Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Customer Services: 2678 2678

Emergency Services: 2728 8333
Fax: 2678 6749
Service Area: Kowloon, the New Territories, Lantau Island (Discovery Bay) and Cheung Chau.


Gas supply is available throughout Hong Kong and Kowloon and in parts of the New Territories.  Stoves and water heaters are mostly gas operated.

Applying for Gas

Apply for gas supply by phoning the number below, in person at one of the shops below or just click here:

Town Gas
Customer Service Hotline: 2880 6988 
Emergency Hotline: 2880 6999 |
Sales Enquiry Hotline: 2963 3000 

Town Gas Customer Service Centre
Shop 1008, 1/F
United Centre
95 Queensway
Hong Kong
Office Hours: Mon-Sat. 9:00-18:00
North Point Showroom
G/F, 363 Java Road
North Point
Hong Kong
Office Hours: Mon-Fri. 9:00-18:00, Sat: 9:00-13:00

  • Allow 2-3 working days
  • You will need a gas company application form, a passport or ID Card number if the account is to be in a personal name, and Business Registration number, if the account is to be in the company name
  • A technician will be scheduled to visit the premises for appliance inspection and maintenance - this service is free
  • A deposit of HK$600 is required, you can either give them a check if you apply in person or have this sum added to your first bill

Drinking Water

Water from the tap meets world health standards, but we suggest you boil it before drinking.  Fluoride is added to purify the water. Bottled, distilled and mineral water may be ordered and delivered to your home. See Services for Drinking Water suppliers.

Applying for Water Supply

You can either apply in person or send the application with a cheque to the Water Authority at the address below: 

Upon application, you will need to supply:

  • The completed and signed application form  
  • A passport number or company business registration number, as well as copies of these
  • A deposit of HK$ 400. Water bills will be invoiced every 4 months.
  • Average cost of water HK$ 300 per quarter.

Water Supplies Department
1/F, Immigration Tower
7 Gloucester Road
Hong Kong
Tel: 2824 5000
Fax Hotline (water supply and general matters): 2519 3864
Fax Hotline (billing and consumership matters): 2802 7333


Last Updated: 17 November, 2004

Essential Information  
Money & Business  
Social and Family Life  
Editor's Notes  
Expat Community